Our current opportunities are listed below.
Please email questions and resumes, if desired, to email@example.com
About Solid State Books
Solid State Books is a full-service general interest bookstore located on the H Street Corridor in NE Washington, DC. We are proud to provide a well-curated selection of the finest books and merchandise, as well as coffee and snacks, to our local community and visitors.
Solid State Books serves as a community hub, engaging with our patrons through our dynamic programming and events slate. We host author readings both in-store and through partnerships with other local venues, and semi-weekly children’s story hours. We connect with our patrons via a customer loyalty program, book clubs, book subscription services, and local school outreach and sales.
Founded and operated by principals with extensive industry knowledge and a combined 25 plus years of frontline bookselling, Solid State Books provides an unparalleled bookstore experience. We focus on hand-selling books with an emphasis on fostering a one-on-one interaction with every customer.
Bookseller positions are available full-time (40hrs/wk). Booksellers are expected to be flexible with scheduling. Shifts may include mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays, and events and off-sites, as needed. All booksellers will be asked to work weekends and holidays (The bookstore is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas). Store hours are M-Th 8:00am-10:00pm, F-Sat 8:00am-12:00am, and Sunday 8:00am-8:00pm.
- Helping customers find books
- Shelving books and maintaining and restocking displays
- Operating cash registers
- Operating Coffee Bar (to include brewing coffee, serving/restocking coffee and food items, etc.)
- Taking special orders and contacting customers when their orders have arrived
- Answering phone calls and emails in a friendly and efficient manner
- Staffing/Operating in-store events and off-site sales
- Assisting with community partnership programming as needed
- General maintenance/cleaning of store and cafe
- Developing and maintaining knowledge of books, publishing, and bookstore industry best practice
All staff are expected to read widely to maintain knowledge of inventory, as well as regularly participate in writing staff picks for the website and newsletter.
Skills and Experience
- Open to all aspects of the work
- Can do, will do attitude
- Self-motivated and independent
- Team-oriented and accountable to others
- Excellent customer service (good with people, including developing new relationships)
- Remaining calm under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to meet the physical demands of an 8 hour day in a busy retail environment
- Prior experience in a bookstore, library, or retail is strongly desired
Solid State Books does not frequently hire for seasonal roles or part-time positions. All booksellers are asked to commit to a minimum employment period of one (1) year. We offer competitive benefits including flexible scheduling, competitive hourly pay, paid time off, paid sick leave, paid holidays, and an employee discount.
Please email questions and resume, if desired, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Solid State Books is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, and local law.